Friday, September 27, 2013

Never Forget, The Universe Fucking Hates Your Creative Ambitions


Lately I've been working on a story called 'The Tavern at the End of the Road.'  I got the idea for it when a friend told me about a short story contest being hosted by the oldest Irish pub in Rome.  Entries had to be about pub life.  After mulling it over for a few days, I came up with a pretty good idea.  Unfortunately their maximum word count was way too low for what I'd need to tell my story.  But I loved the idea too much to let it go, so now I'm just writing it for myself.  It's been shaping up nicely.

Yesterday in a burst of productivity I wrote a thousand words.  At the end, when I was ready to call it a day and kick back with a horror movie, I closed it out and the SAVE CHANGES window popped up.  In one of those organ-twisting moments like the seconds before a car crash in which you ache to rewind space and time and zig when you should have zagged, I accidentally clicked outside the window.  Apparently in Apache OpenOffice, this closes the document without saving the changes.  I lost an entire day's work.


Today I'm going to find out if my brain's autosave was turned on, and how effective its backup and recovery features are.  When I'm not doing that, I'll probably be setting things on fire.

No comments:

Post a Comment