Thursday, November 29, 2012

12 Songs for Christmas


Now that Thanksgiving's over, it's socially acceptable to break out the Christmas tunes.  I've always had a soft spot for the holidays, but when it comes to Christmas music, you walk a fine line between the fun and the excruciating.  Therefore, when assembling a holiday mix, one must be extremely selective.

I don't care if the only thing Mariah wants for Christmas is me.  I'm spending the holidays with The Kinks.

One of the few things I don't like about the holiday season is that my girlfriend and I always end up on different continents.

No explanation needed.
The sad irony is that the overwhelming stress of the season frequently goads us into taking our frustrations out on the very people who make the whole thing worthwhile.  Hang up the battleaxe, let the chips fall where they may, and just enjoy one another.
The Damned have been kicking ass for over thirty years.  This is the second-greatest punk Christmas tune of all time.

Lycia are a criminally under-appreciated darkambient band from the '90s.  If you're familiar with their back-catalog, you know their version of this song sounds exactly like it should.  Unfortunately I couldn't find a clip of it anywhere, so you'll just have to suck it up and support the artist.
Trippy ethereal version of the favorite carol of every Who down in Whoville.

There's children throwing snowballs, instead of throwing heads
They're busy building toys, absolutely no one's dead!
Faith & Disease are a folky ethereal duet, and this is their take on the snowman's song from Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer.

Come on, you know you like it.

This is my favorite Christmas song of all time.  Hope and joy in the face of disillusionment.

I know absolutely nothing about this band, but this ambient rendition of Silent Night is brilliant.

No comments:

Post a Comment