Wednesday, August 22, 2012

The Midnight Meat Train


Twelve days since my last post.  I try to update more frequently than that, but I've been busy prepping for two big upcoming trips.  One begins this Saturday: my girl, our dog, and I are driving to Basilicata (the lower shin of the Italian boot) and hiking from the east coast to the west.  If all goes well, after next week I'll have technically walked across a country.  After that I'm catching a transatlantic to Baltimore so I can be the best man at my best friend's wedding.  Yes, in the words of Benito Mussolini, my dear friend Mike Barron is about to bury the putrid corpse of liberty.  I'm flying in a week before the festivities to take him white-water rafting for his bachelor party.  After that I'll head to my parents' house in Maryland, spend the week catching up with my family, then head back to Baltimore the following Friday for the wedding.

Anyway, I wanted to share this NPR article about 'The Midnight Meat Train', a horrific Clive Barker story from his seminal collection Books of Blood.  It reminded me of the first time I read that one.  I was on the outskirts of Rome, making my evening commute by train.  I read the passage where the narrator realizes that he's alone on a train with the butcher who's been slaughtering people in the subways of New York at night.  At one point I looked up, and realized that not only was it was pitch black outside outside my window, but I was the ONLY PASSENGER in the car.  The word "terrified" does not begin to do it justice.  In fact I sent Clive a Facebook message today thanking him for the most horrific experience of my adult life.

No comments:

Post a Comment