Saturday, April 21, 2012

three decades


April 21st.  According to tradition, Rome was founded on this day in 753 BC.  It's also Iggy Pop's birthday.  It's also mine.

It's a cool feeling to know you share a birthdate with the frontman of The Stooges, the Founding Fathers of punk rock, and arguably the greatest rock and roll band of all time.

I learned about my adopted city's birthdate after I moved here.  I've never been fond of the phrase "everything happens for a reason," but it's still a hell of a coincidence that of all the places in the world where I could have ended up, I picked the one born on the same day as me.  For the past few years I've been planning on getting a tattoo of Remus, Romulus, and the She-Wolf on my right arm, with the Roman numerals XXI IV beneath, but I still haven't found an artist who can draw it the way I want.

I'm celebrating by closing a bar in Trastevere with some of my closest friends.  Then we're going to head to a spot that overlooks the cityscape and watch the sun rise on a new year.

Rome, it's another year for me and you.

No comments:

Post a Comment