Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Easter Week


I just got back from three days in Castiglione in Teverina with my girlfriend and our pit bull. I'm very much a city guy at heart, but I relish the chance to get away from the smog and back to nature once in a while. We stayed in an inn down in a valley, exploring the neighboring villages during the day, and drinking the house wine and watching kung fu movies at night. I've never had a bad experience traveling in Italy, but I have to say that everywhere I go makes me all the happier that I live in Rome.

I've been extremely pleased to hear the reactions Inaugural Games has been getting. I've been getting very kind emails from people saying they found it engaging and thought-provoking, and that they laughed their asses off the whole time. My boss tells me she found it disturbing. Glad to hear I can have that effect.

It's the week leading up to Easter, which means most of Italy is completely shut down. It sounds good in theory, but when you live like I do, days off are only good if you still get paid. I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but sometimes I wish God could have sent his only Son to die for my sins on a week when I wasn't flat-ass broke. On the bright side, the time off will give me the chance to make some headway on a couple projects. I'm working on a few travel pieces on Rome, as well as an article pitch for cracked.com about the inside jokes in the Sistine Chapel. Also, blogger Will Green is interviewing me about my book for his blog Wayward Things. Sounds like fun.

All right, that's all for now. Buona Pasqua, Happy Easter. And as my great-grandfather Edward Laye Sr. would say, if Jesus walks out of the tomb and sees his shadow, it's six more weeks of winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment