Saturday, March 31, 2012

Midnight in Paris


Last Sunday, my girlfriend and I caught a 10pm showing of Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris.  The theater looked like it was made out of cardboard, tickets were €5, there were about three dozen seats, and the screen was the size of a postage stamp.  It was perfect.

If you haven't already, check it out.  It's a finely crafted story about writing, living abroad, romanticism, the emulation of idols, and the nature of nostalgia.  I don't want to give too much away, because I went into the theater not knowing the first thing about it, and had a blast.  If you've managed to avoid hearing the plot up to this point, keep it that way.

The one thing I'll say is that I particularly enjoyed Corey Stoll's performance as Hemmingway.  Rather than the emotionally-stunted chauvanist everyone imagines him to be, he's portrayed here as a welcoming personality, wise and life-affirming, delivering his worldly advice in articulate, concise monologues.

And on that note, I'll leave you with Henry.

No comments:

Post a Comment